Saturday 27 September 2014

My Simplified Henna Gloss

- Brew a strong cup of tea (two tea bags) or coffee. I use whatever I have available; regular tea, rooibos, green tea or coffee. I don't find it makes a difference to colour except perhaps the coffee mix turns out a bit browner. 

- Mix 100g of henna with enough of your tea/coffee to make a very thick paste. Make it thicker than you think you'll need as you'll be mixing in other things that will make it runnier and you do not want the drippies. 

anything thinner than this gives me the drippies

- Let the mix sit covered in a warm place (not in direct sunlight). For maximum colour release you want it to sit  2-8 hours. The strengthening property isn't affected by the duration. 

- When it's done, add half a cup of Conditioner (I use Tresemme Naturals), 1-2 Tbsps Oil (I use Avocado or Coconut), 1-2 Tbsps Honey, 1-2 Tbsps of a butter mix (I use Harvest Of Sunshine but I am also planning to try a Shea Moisture masque - water based butters are easier to mix in)

- Put on gloves! Trust me, you don't want henna nails. 



- (optional) Base your ears and hairline with some Vaseline or a thick butter to prevent staining. (I say optional as I almost never remember this step and a henna gloss has yet to stain my ears or forehead). 

- Apply the henna to damp hair (I do it on clean or dirty hair. If my hair isn't washed before hand, I spray it with water first). Make sure each strand is coated from root to tip. 

- Enjoy the henna hang. 

- Cover head in cling film or a shower cap and let it sit for minimum 4 hours. I do my henna glosses overnight and use a heat cap for at least 30 minutes. 

- Rinse thoroughly, cowash, condition, oil rinse, dry and style. 

- Your hair may feel coarse and dry for a while after but if you stay on top of your moisturising for the week after, it soon reverts back. It helps to do another moisture DC within a week of glossing. 



No comments:

Post a Comment