Sunday 15 September 2013

Basic Products for New Naturals in Kenya and Where to Buy Them

I posted this in a Facebook forum but i thought i would re-post it here:

As a beginner, it is easy to get overwhelmed with the amount of information out there.  Watching videos and reading blogs, you see and hear of lots of different products and it is easy to fall into the trap of buying a gazillion products. The purpose of this document is to bring a back to basics approach to early purchases for the new natural.  It is not a comprehensive list and some of the prices and product sizes are estimates but it should give everyone some idea of what to get and where to get it from.

You will need 9 basic items when you are starting out, namely:



1. Conditioner for washing and detangling your hair:
If you opt out of shampoo, you should use a silicone free conditioner, listed here from most expensive (shs per ml) ml to cheapest:
- Herbal Essences Hello Hydration -  Nakumatt - 347ml - 695/- [although this product is popular with many naturals, it actually has a non-water soluble silicone, bis-amonypropyl dimethicone, and would therefore not be suitable for long term co-washing without the use of a sulfate conditioner]
- Garnier Fructis Triple Nutrition - Chandarana  - 384ml for 595/- CURRENTLY OUT OF STOCK
- Tresemme Naturals - Nakumatt - 739ml for 845/-
- Timotei Pure - Nakumatt - 400ml for 450/-
- Enliven - Nakumatt - approx 300/- (contains parabens)
- Alberto Balsam - Nakumatt - 400ml - 225/-
- Suave Naturals - Nakumatt - 665ml for 325/-

How to: Co-wash (wash with conditioner) as often as suits you. I wash once a week, some wash daily, some every 3-4 weeks.  I wash my hair in about 8 loose twists to prevent tangling. Apply conditioner, massage scalp gently, squeeze conditioner through twists, undo a twist, detangle (using fingers or wide tooth comb), re-twist and continue until all twists are done. Rinse and proceed.

2. Conditioner for Deep Conditioning/Treating hair:
Homemade Moisture DC -  Basic Recipe: 
- 1 cup silicone free conditioner (see no. 1 above)
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon penetrative oil (see no. 3 below)
- optional extra (you can add: mashed sieved banana or avocado or a butter                                                   to your mix) : see my homemade recipe here

How to: DC/Treat as often as suits you. I treat once a week by applying the DC after co-washing and detangling, wrapping head in clingfilm then covering with a towel for 15-20 mins.

Homemade Protein DC - Basic Recipe
- 1 egg beaten
- 1 cup of coconut milk (or natural yoghurt if you prefer a thicker consistency)
- 1/2 mashed, sieved avocado
- 2 tablespoons penetrative oil (see no. 3 below)

How to: Only do a protein DC once ever 4-6 weeks. Always follow by a moisture DC

3. One Sealant:
This can be an oil:
- Castor Oil - Nakumatt - Ideal brand - 110ml - approx. 200/- (Check My Big Fat Market for Jamaican        Black Castor Oil)
- Almond Oil - Nakumatt - Ideal brand - 110ml - approx 200/-
- Grapeseed Oil - cooking section of most supermarlets - appox 200/-
- Jojoba Oil - Healthy U - 110ml - 2,800/- 

Or a butter:
- Shea, Cocoa (not palmers),Mango or Avocado - see My Big Fat Market on Facebook for a wide varity of vendors selling either pure butters of butter mixes

How to: after moisturising hair with a spritz or leave-in conditioner, apply sealant lightly over the hair (or just on the ends) to seal in the moisture. You can also use a butter on the strand followed by an oil on just the ends. 

4. One oil that can penetrate right into the hair strand/cuticle:
- Unrefined/Virgin coconut oil:
                                               - Coast Coconut Farms brand - most supermarkets - approx 400/- for                                                           250ml always sold out 
                                               - Navida 500/- for 750 ml and smells absolutely gorgeous

- Extra Virgin Olive Oil - most supermarkets - approx 400/- for 250ml
- Cold pressed Avocado Oil - Not so commonly available but check cooking section in larger supermarkets - Butchery at Yaya sell it too - approx 300/- for 110ml or My Big Fat Market on Facebook.

TIP: WHEN BUYING AN OIL, TRY AS MUCH AS POSSIBLE TO BUY FOOD GRADE QUALITY, ie. OIL YOU CAN EAT/UNREFINED OIL

How to: These oils have a number of uses; they can be applied on hair overnight before shampooing (called pre-pooing), after washing or spritzing hair (but under a sealant), on dry hair to strngthen from inside and to add shine, mixed into conditioners for extra conditioning... etc

5. Leave-in/spritz:
There are a number of leave-ins available at Healthy U, notably Alba Botanica, but most naturals choose to make their own by mixing:
 - your regular co-wash (silicone free) conditioner
 - water
 - a sealing oil

You can also add a humectant like glycerine or aloe juice to draw in moisture from the atmosphere.  The above is a basic mix; feel free to add or remove whatever ingredients you wish.

How to: Spray hair as often as you need it. I spray my hair at at a minimum thrice a week but ideally once a day.  I usually spray at night before bed so it is dry by morninf and the moisture doesn't ruin whatever style I may choose to wear during the daytime.

6. Spray Bottle:
You can re-use an old spray bottle which had another product or you can buy a bottle from a beauty store or supermarket

7. Clarifier: 
This is basically something to clean your hair of product build-up. Any of the following work:
a) shampoo - sulfate free - Healthy U - approx 895/- for 250 ml - expensive but lasts forever, have had mine for a year
b) black soap - see TN Marketplace for vendors 
c) Apple Cider Vinegar - Supermarket or Healthy U - approx 500/- for 250 ml - dilute one part to three parts water, apply to scalp, massage gently, leave on a minute then rinse
d) Clay - Bentonite or Rhassoul - Healthy U - 250/- per small satchet (about 50g)

How To: once every 4-6 weeks, i apply coconut oil to my hair overnight then shampoo (also in 8 loose twists). I then co-wash, detangle, deep condition, rinse and style

8. Scarf - NOT COTTON:
It doesnt have to be silk, just not cotton. Can be bought from mitumba or satin bonnets available from beauty stores.  

How to: wrap hair at night or spread on pillow to sleep on.

9. Wide Tooth Comb:
You can find these anywhere. Avoid fine tooth combs as much as possible, especially if your hair is very kinky.

How to: use to detangle when hair is saturated with conditioner, or, at the very least, damp. Avoid combing dry hair.



There you have it. 9 basic items:  2 conditioners, 2 oils (or one butter and one oil), one leave-in, one spray bottle, one shampoo, a scarf and a Wide Tooth Comb.

36 comments:

  1. Thank you. This is very helpful for newbie me. Here's to happier looking non steel wool hair!

    ReplyDelete
  2. You're very welcome. Keep checking in for hair care tips. :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I want to cut my hair but my hairline needs rescuing.....dont want to walk around looking like someone grabbed me by my temples. How do i help my hairline?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Will be doing a hairline post soon.Watch this space :)

      Delete
    2. Looking forward to receiving the hairline post as well. Thanks for all your help

      Delete
  4. Have you tried castor oil or Jamaican black castor oil? I hear it restores hairlines. Avoid tight styles too.Basically low manipulation of the hairline.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I have but not diligently enough. I understand that the massaging action more than the oil itself is the key to hair regeneration but its always worth a shot.

      Delete
  5. You do not mention any store bought deep conditioners. Are they to be avoided?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. No, when I wrote this there were none available that I knew of. I think in some beauty shops in Nairobi you can now find III Sisters of Nature Deep Conditioner plus some independent sellers selling Shea Moisture Deep Conditioners. The price has been the main prohobiting factor for me as they average about 1600+ for a small tub and with my big hair that would probably last only a couple of uses, hence I make my own, but if you have access to them or can find more affordable then there are some great store bought DCs out there.

      Delete
  6. Herbal Essences Hallo Hydration contains a silicone, Bis- Aminopropyl Dimethicone as the 5th ingredient. This is not water soluble and may not be that suitable as a regular co-wash, correct me if I'm wrong. A shampoo containing Cocamidopropyl Betaine would remove it, you'd have to check for it in whichever brand you opt for.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're 100% correct and i actually discovered this after laying my hands on three bottles. Need to amend the list. Thank you :)

      Delete
  7. You are a lifesaver.... I recently started my hair journey... it's been three months since my big chop. I was watching all these YouTube videos and seeing all these products and worrying about my pocket (am at that broke college phase) and yesterday I was determined to quit and one last Google search led me to you!!!! So thanks to you... the hair journey goes on .. at a more affordable level. Thanks again and keep it up.

    ReplyDelete
  8. What is the address of the TN Marketplace, i would like to buy the black castor oil. Thanks

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please search for Faitrh Fischer. I buy my JBCO from her.

      Delete
    2. please tell me where to buy JBCO in Kenya

      Delete
  9. my hair is relaxed.. can i follow the above items? will they work or they are just recommended for Natural hair?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Rekaxed hair also needs moisture and protein same as batural hair, just in different amounts. Try using the same products with a stronger emphasis on protein than moisture as relaxers break down the protein bonds in the hair shaft.

      Delete
  10. Thank you for this it has helped me a lot but you didn't mention any styling gels.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. You're welcome :)

      For this post I wanted to stick to the basic hair care items and not include styling ones. If you're looking for a good gel, make sure you get an alcohol free one like Fantasia IC with Sparklelites or Eco Styler. Both available locally.

      Delete
  11. Hi very nice read. Where is TN market place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.facebook.com/groups/151067948373796/

      Delete
  12. Hi, I just cut my hair last week. Soo excited on growing it natural now. So if one does not have the time to make the DC's/treatment what would be the best ones to buy???

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Locally available I only know of a few. Shea Moisture Deep Treatment Masque, Harvest of Sunshine, III Sister of Nature....not super familiar with them though.

      Delete
  13. Hi this is very helpful. One question though what is the TN market place?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. https://www.facebook.com/groups/151067948373796/

      Delete
  14. Any contact information for the distributors of Harvest of Sunshine?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. They took a small hiatus to rebrand. As soon as they are up amd running i'll do a post.

      Delete
  15. Glad I bumped into this... I was looking for a solution for my little one (4 yrs old). Can I apply all the above to her young hair? She is loosing her hairline and its not amusing. I stopped taking her to the salon now I take care of her hair by myself. But that hairline is causing me tears and heartache.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yes you can. The best thing you can do for her hairline now is treat it gently http://mybigfatafro.blogspot.com/2014/05/five-simple-steps-to-grow-back-your.html

      Delete
  16. this is amazing, following your blog. I needed to know where to get products in Nairobi.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Which of these hair products are safe for a 2 year old baby ? I need to do something with my babies hair. Its tough and kinky

    ReplyDelete
  18. Where is TN marketplace?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Tricia's Naturals Marketplace, on Facebook.

      Delete
  19. Hi, can I follow the same items for my 3yrs old?

    ReplyDelete
  20. Any remedy for early greying hair? What products should I use? Any chance I can get them from the Kenyan supermarkets?

    ReplyDelete