Tuesday 14 January 2014

Homemade (Moisture) DC Recipe: Harvest of Sunshine Hair Butter Review

I have no DC; I didn't replace my store-bought one after it finished because it didn't work very well and was rather costly to boot. I have since been experimenting with different mixes at home, depending on what I have in the house, and this has got to be my favourite one so far.

Why it is wonderful:
- It makes my hair incredibly soft; I first used it after I came back from the coast when my hair was dry, brittle and crying out for attention. 
- It goes on easily as it has lots of slip so would make a great detangler. 
- It is perfect for the non-DIYers like me because it is so quick and easy it is to make with affordable ingredients 
- It washes off easily and doesn't leave your hair feeling greasy or with residue. 

Ingredients: 




1 cup Tresemme Naturals Conditioner 
1 tablespoon avocado oil 
2 tablespoons honey
1 heaped tablespoon Harvest of Sunshine Hair Butter

Mix ingredients nto a rich, fragrant mix and liberally apply to hair from root to tip. I wrap my head in cling film and let it sit under a heat cap for 30 minutes. As I mentioned earlier, it has a lot of slip, probably a combination of the avocado oils and the oils in the hair butter so when I rinse it off (the water seems a little green, think it's the avocado oil), I use it like an oil rinse to detangle my hair.

Result:
My hair feels so unbelievably soft!

Harvest of Sunshine Hair Butter Review:
Tthe only new ingredient in my DC is the Harvest of Sunshine Hair Butter.  I've had this butter for quite a while, probably 3 or 4 months, as I wasn't sure how well it worked for my hair as a butter. I believe I Initially bought it after my Carol's Daughter Healthy Hair Butter ran out. Harvest of Sunshine suggests using it as a DC as well as a leave-in AND a styler (mutlitasking!) but I was quite hesitant to try as I didn't like using shea on my hair so it was shelved in my 'to do' pile. Coming back from Mombasa, I spied it sitting there and decided to give it a whirl.  It looks light but is quite thick and creamy and has a lovely gloss to it. 



Sadly, the label seems to have come off (probably The Child) and as HoS have quite a large product range, I will have to take it back there to determine exactly which of their hair butters it is. I have since done a second DC with the same ingredients and this will definitely be a staple in my arsenal. 

As an aside, I usually add ripe, mashed, sieved avocado to my DC mix but haven't had any the two times I have made this DC. Will try some soon and see if it makes a difference.

UPDATE:
The Harvest of Sunshine butter I used for this recipe is Zee Zee's Twist & Curl Butter, which is a leave-in moisturiser as well as a styler, for those looking for a dual purpose butter. Add to that now deep conditioner.





No comments:

Post a Comment