Monday 22 September 2014

Easy DIY Protein DC Recipes

Getting the protein-moisture balance right is important for naturals looking for strong, soft, healthy hair.  Although many naturals are afraid pf protein, protein is important for strengthening your hair from the inside, helping prevent breakage. Protein DCs can be done once a month in conjunction with weekly moisture DCs for optimum hair health.

1. Mayonnaise

Because I rarely buy mayonnaise, I make my own (minus the seasoning and lemon juice) when I want to use it on my hair but mayonnaise straight out of a jar works just as well.

You will need:

  • egg yolks
  • oil (I use Olive Oil)







2. Coconut Milk-Banana-Honey

source

1/2 Cup Coconut Milk
1 Banana (mashed and sieved)
2 Tablespoons Honey
2 Tablespoons Coconut Oil (can be substituted with Avocado or Olive Oil)

3. Yoghurt-Egg*

source

2 Egg Yolks
1/2 Cup Natural Yoghurt  (I use Bio or Gifted Hands)
3 Tablespoon Olive Oil (can be substituted with Avocado or Coconut Oil)

4. Avocado-Yoghurt

source

1/2 Cup Natural Yoghurt  (I use Bio or Gifted Hands)
1/2 Avocado (mashed and sieved)
2 Tablespoons Avocado Oil (can be substituted with Coconut or Olive Oil)

How To:
1. Mix
2. Apply to head and cover with shower cap or cling film
3. Leave 30 minutes
4. Rinse thoroughly with cool water (ESPECIALLY the egg recipes; you will end up with scrambled egg in your hair otherwise)

*also makes a great face mask for dry skin - substitute oil with lemon juice for oily skin
**I add Giovanni Direct Leave-In Moisture Conditioner to all my DIY protein mixes to enhance the treatment as natural proteins on their own are not as effective as commercial, hydrolysed ones




No comments:

Post a Comment