Monday 23 March 2015

Product Review: Hercules Sägemann Magic Star Jumbo Rake

Fancy name for a comb :)


Y'all know I don't comb my hair. Ever since I started my finger detangling challenge in 2013, I have combed my hair probably twice, and both times I regretted it so much it just reinforced my resolve not to return to combs.

So I was as surprised as anyone when I bought this comb. I had seen a few reviews on it but I really only started paying this comb any real attention when it got a rave review from Natural Haven. I was just kind of like..if it's good enough for her...lol. But seriously, the reason I considered it at all is because, quite frankly, finger detangling is exhausting! It just takes so bloody long! And yes, I see less breakage yadda yadda but it really takes quite some mental effort to prepare for a detangling session, so I took the plunge and ordered one online.


Before I start my review I should explain whats so special about this comb; it's seamless. Normal combs are made from two sides stuck together, and will have a seam running all along the comb where the two pieces meet. The trouble is, sometimes the finishing on these seams can be pretty jagged, which can cause snagging and micro-tears to your hair strands. Some of you will be rolling your eyes right now going 'Come on!'. But this is the business of hair. It's that serious. Enter seamless combs. Made with some super fancy German technology resulting in a completely smooth, seam-free comb. So my review is going to test if this comb really does have amazing detangling capabilities or if it's just hype.

Price:
$20 on www.hotcombs.net. That's about KES 1800/-. Yeah, it's expensive.

What It Looks Like:



One word; massive. This comb is huge. It's 9 inches long, and has really wide spaced teeth compared to my regular WTC.

Jumbo Rake vs my regular WTC

What It Promises:
All Hercules Sägemann combs are:

  • Made by hand from 100% Vulcanized Natural Hard Rubber
  • Tried and tested design with perfect ergonomics
  • Twist-resistant and yet flexible
  • The teeth are hand-sawn, hand-cut, and hand-polished to perfection!
  • Non-porous (will not support the growth of mold or mildew); guaranteeing hygiene
  • Chemical and heat resistant
  • Antistatic (prevents fly-away hair)
  • Very smooth and gentle to the hair and scalp due to rounded tips and sides
  • Excellent gliding ability when combing through the hair
The Verdict:
I was really excited to try out my comb...until it arrived. I have to say, as much as I was looking forward to shorter detangling sessions, the fear of combs is so deeply rooted in me that it took several weeks before I worked up the courage to try it. And even then it was a very half-arsed, tentative attempt and at the first tug, I gave up. I was like 'No way I'm breaking my hair over a damn comb, no matter how expensive'.

So the comb was relegated to the failed-hair-stuff graveyard along with my denman brush and it wasn't until a few months later that I decided to give it another go.I cowashed and conditioned for a few minutes with my Tresemme Naturals conditioner. I then started combing gently from ends to roots with my hair SA.TU.RA.TED in conditioner. Like, gobs of the stuff. I hit a few stubborn snags which I worked through with my fingers but for the most part it was really easy to use and I didn't have that 'tearing through hair' feeling combs give you. Granted, the teeth are so wide you could pass a camel through them but by combing each section thoroughly, you do actually get your hair completely tangle free. It was amazing how easy it was and I was done in a fraction of the time I would usually take even though I was being soooooo cautious. 

The amount of hair that came off was equivalent to a thorough finger detangle, although I did see quite a few tell-tale small curls in the tub after so I know I experienced more breakage than usual. Not a massive surprise really; any manipulation with a comb, no matter how careful you are, will cause some breakage.

one month's worth of shed (and broken) hair using the Jumbo Rake

I've been using this comb now for about 3 months and I am actually pleasantly surprised by it. I really wasn't expecting miracles. Deep down I thought it was going to be just another comb, albeit an expensive one. I'm glad I tried it and I will definitely use it for detangling sessions, especially if I plan to style my hair. 
Would I Buy It Again?
Yes, I would. It's expensive but I think it's worth it. My experience with combs has always been traumatic so the fact that I can actually comb my hair through from root to tip with this is amazing. Because I did see some breakage, I will still mostly finger-detangle, but I will definitely incorporate this on those sessions when I need a little extra help.



No comments:

Post a Comment